Monday, September 22, 2008

Night Owl

So I think I've figured out that I need to go to bed earlier. I'm always tired when I wake up (rather, my girls wake me up) and cranky until I get at least 2 cups of coffee in. My 3 year old wakes up every day around 5:30 am!! It's loads of fun. Neither of my girls sleep through the night - my 3 year old has epilepsy and I know night-wakings are common among kids with seizures. She's never been a good sleeper and I don't expect anything to change. My 2 year old wakes up several times too...she's ready for a big-girl bed, but our budget doesn't allow for a bed purchase just yet. Also, yes I'm going to say it, she still nurses. Yep, 2 and she still drinks milk from the boob. Many look down on that, and I never thought I would nurse this long, but it kinda just happened. I'm ready to be done, but it's not like I can just turn it off and if you know her, she's not easily distracted from what's important to her. OK, now that I've digressed!

My point is, I'm tired and have reason to be since I spend a large portion of my night up with little people. My hubby is great and usually will take one and I'll get the other, but when he travels (right now he's in TX helping his company deal with the hurricane aftermath) it's a nightmare. We all end up in my bed or me on my bedroom floor once I'm done with being kicked and jabbed???? How I let my little ones rule my world. But I love them so. =)

Again, my point, I just love nights after they've gone to bed. It's time for just hubby and me, and when he's gone oh - the silence is almost deafening after all the noise and chatter of the day! Those last few hours of the day are the ONLY ones I spend for myself and I value them. OK, so one would think, great! Perfect time to jump on that dust-collecting treadmill I use as a laundry basket! But no, I usually have a bowl of ice cream and sit in front of the couch or computer. I'm so exhausted that the thought of doing an exercise video or running on the treadmill is the last thing on my mind. But I'm ready to make a lifestyle change, so I'm thinking this is part of it! Right? As I'm typing I realize nights are probably one of my few options for getting fitness in. Or if I went to bed at a decent hour I could wake up refreshed ready to take on the morning and a jog (walk for now) with my old lop-sided double stroller and my English Setter.

I'm going to do it. I'll go to bed by 10:00 so I can go for a walk/run in the morning OR make time to exercise at night after the kids are in bed. There, I said it.

3 comments:

Monica said...

Hi, I read you comment on Angie's blog about your situation with swimsuits...My girls are on the local swim team...For next year try swimoulet.com.they have get prices and full coverage racerbacks..I love to buy my swim products on that site...Like you and Angie,I try to instill modesty with my girls(who are 8 and 4)...With the clothes and under garments out there these days,shopping is alittle challenging..But we are overcomers!!!! Live n Christ,Monica

Jill said...

Thanks Monica! I'm going to bookmark the site. =)

Vonavie said...

I vote for trying to get to the exercise first thing in the morning. Although I'm not at all a morning person either. But after a long day you are more likely to come up with grand excuses why you deserve the night off. Besides that if I do exercise I'm refreshed and awake and that's not something you want right before bedtime. I think you will end up awake later at night if you exercise after the girls go down. There's my two cents.