Tuesday, February 3, 2009

I had a taste - and I liked it!

Ok, months have passed since I last posted. You want to know why? Well, it's because I haven't done a dang thing to improve my health. Haven't fed my body well, haven't exercised, I'm not getting enough sleep, stressed out. You name it. I felt guilty. I gave up so quickly on my goal to be healthy for myself, for my family. Not sure why, probably because it's a lot of work, effort, time, commitment. Maybe I wasn't truly ready. But I am now!!!!!

I jumped in and did the 10k run that I was planning to do all along on Jan. 31st. I hadn't even trained for it. My husband thought I was crazy, maybe I was!! But I'm so glad I did it! I had been doing Monday walk/runs (we do about 3 miles and walk most of it) with a group of friends for a couple months, but that was it! I hadn't even run more than a mile in 5 years. Well I did awesome for the run! I ran 2 miles very slowly without even stopping. I walked here and there, but ran most of it!!! My knees, hamstrings, lungs and heart paid the price when I was done but it felt great. It felt good to push my body and know I could do it.

I know that's not healthy, and I'm not encouraging this and don't plan to do it again, but for me, it's what I needed to do. It's like I crossed the line back to my pre-kids lifestyle. I had a small taste of what I'm capable of and I want it back! I want to feel that every day. I want to push myself and feel the rewards! I want to be a healthy mommy and wife and set an example for my family. So, here I go! I encourage you to do the same. If I can do it, so can you!!

2 comments:

new*me said...

welcome back! And congrats on the run.....wow!!!

Run Mommy said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I especially love reading the moms. It makes me feel like it is possible. :) I look forward to reading more of your posts as I totally admire those that tri..were I not such a fearful swimmer - I would tri too. :)